Pages

Thursday, May 15, 2014

My Backyard "Pets"

Bird feeding is one of those things that has to happen in order for me to be happy. Plus, it helps keep the bugs down so the garden can do better. The best things are the colors and sounds that come with feeding the birds. It makes for entertainment that is far better than any programming on network T.V. I call it Backyard Bird Television!


This is the setting. A new-old bird feeder that I built out of scrap lumber and tin that was abandoned eons ago here on the farm, just for me to find. I love living in the country because people leave behind all sorts of junk that is useful.


I have the usual suspects found in the Mid-west. cardinals and bluebirds, goldfinches, doves, titmice, nuthatches, and indigo buntings. I have had migrants like red breasted grosbeaks too.


I like the bluebirds the best, because they are not common at the feeder. This guy is not interested in seeds. He is scoping the yard for insects to take home to his wife and children. I am lucky that they nest in my yard. Last year they used one of the nest boxes I put out, but this year I think they are in a cavity hollowed out by a woodpecker. A few years back, Missouri had a tremendous ice storm that killed off a lot of larger trees. In the years since they have become valuable real estate for woodpeckers and then other cavity nesters' such as bluebirds.


The open feeder is for birds that dislike having a roof over their heads. I did not know that there was a preference for this until I made the large covered feeder. The covered one keeps seed from getting wet, but the open one allows for the birds to scatter quickly in case a hawk comes.


But sometimes the threat is no more than a bluejay making a convincing act of a hawk. They do it to scare all of the other birds away from the food, the little boogers! I love them anyway and all of the birds are kind of like an extended family of pets that I look after. I help feed them so they can feed their young. They repay me with music, pest control and entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment