Pages

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

It's the Little Things

The garden last year was a bust other than the kohlrabi and the radishes. That's mom holding up our bounty. We both don't really know what to do with kohlrabi, but the radishes were good with butter.


There is nothing like a college algebra class to divide attention away from the things that really matter. That is where my entire last summer went and I had no energy left to tend to growing anything. Having finally conquered the dreaded math class I feel much more comfortable throwing some of that energy into this years garden.


The family helped put up fences to keep the chickens out and hopefully some deer as well. That's mom again helping out with her trusty mini tiller.


I am happy about this garden and have hopes for tomatoes so juicy that they run down my chin.




We also bought fruit trees from Stark growers who are located only 3 hours away from Waynesville. We bought three apple trees suited to Missouri, a peach tree and a cherry tree too. The first year of homesteading was about learning how to raise chickens. This will be the year to begin establishing our gardens.


 Seeds for perennials, I have only dreamed about having, are started and doing well. As a military family we have moved with too much frequency to consider planting anything other than annuals, but I think we will be here for a while.


So bring on the garden and all of the joys it inspires. Thank you God for all the blessings you have given me and my family.


No comments:

Post a Comment