Pages

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Spending Time Well

    The world came to a standstill today as 7 inches of snow smothered Waynesville and the Ft. Leonard Wood and St. Robert areas. Which meant no church for us and no school tomorrow for the lucky kids who were supposed to have gone back from winter break. The chickens are nestled securely in their coop and the only thing that had to be done today was give them vegetable treats and fresh water.

 
     It looked worse outside than it felt. At fourteen degrees, which was the high today, it reminded me more of Colorado cold because it was so dry. We lived there for two years while my husband deployed to Iraq for the second time. I am grateful that he is home today and all of us are huddled inside where it is nice and warm and there is a fire going. I have not gotten around to taking down our Christmas decorations so it is like an extended Christmas holiday.


    This has left time for contemplation. I have been reading a book by Debbie Macomber called "One Perfect Word". It is about choosing to focus on one word given to you by God which is supposed to be explored in depth throughout the entire year. After much prayer I have settled on the word "time". It is important for me to make time getting to know God through his word; a simple concept which will require commitment. If I am willing to look after my chickens in sub-freezing weather should I not give God at least as much effort?


     Last year I asked him to reveal to me why some people say they love Jesus with all of their heart. I want a burning fire in my soul for him too. All I came away with is lukewarm enthusiasm. Since that is something God says he hates, I have to take an active role in fixing my lack of passion. The only way to do that is to spend plenty of time with him. You would not expect to have a super relationship with anyone if you never talked, right? I really anticipate much more answered prayer and a greater sense of love and faith as a result of God talking to me and me listening to him.

    There are so many prayer requests that have hit the ceiling in the past year that I cannot afford to ignore God's very specific command to spend time with him. This is not a New Year's resolution. It is deeper than that and more like a longing to know God and Jesus more. I will go with it and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment