Pages

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Pretty Things

I thought I would share some of the lovely things that I am about to put in my antiques booth. My little place is at a backwoods store called Bear Ridge Antiques in Crocker Mo. It is not fancy. The owner does not even have a website, but it is a great place. I love to put together items which look good together, and these fancy things satisfy my girlie girl longings.


The rose buds are made from small salt and pepper shakers which I wired to skewers. I then covered the stems in floral tape and dry brushed white paint to cover. Adding a little bit of ribbon and bling completed each flower and I will sell each rose for $6.25. They took a while to make but I really think that glass rosebuds are unique.


I love these little quail eggs. I bought them at a Chinese grocery about a year ago and let them dry out. Can you imagine how awful it would have been if one had broken before they were dry? Luckily that never happened!


Hats are great for decorating with and it is fun to think up new ways to dress up a plain one to make it an object of desire. This gardeners hat got a crocheted collar as a hat band and the big rose was sewn from the end of a plain white pillow case. The little pearls on the edge were sewn on and it really looks expensive, but it is not.


Tarnished silver and pink feathers make this photo scape frothy and fun.  So much of life can be gritty and grey.  I like to escape from the reality of it when I create a photo shoot.  It is like reading home decor magazines and craft magazines.  For a short while, life is simple and pretty.  I used to feel so guilty for this kind of escapism in my brain. But the older I get I realize that it is so important to take a little time and set aside a place in my life for creativity.



No comments:

Post a Comment